Sweet treats for the literary, the musical, the feminine, and the generally filthy.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Minus the Dominant Sevenths

What is it about a band that has made so many albums relying on the sound of absurdity and indecision that they have to come right out and explain what they've been thinking the whole time? Okay, let me back up. Minus the Bear just put out their new album, OMNI, and I'm all but impressed, frankly. From cheesey lines like "Running out of excuses/I'm into you," to repetitive choruses and Owl City-wannabe synth additions (oh yeah, I went there), the stink of pandering is potent. Maybe they're just trying to get on the radio.

Serious MTB fans, do yourself a favor and skip the first like five tracks and go straight to "The Thief." Yes, bands are allowed to grow and change, but to demote your own sound? Keep the dominant sevenths and clang clang for heaven's sake! Sure, add some funk and synth or whatever you feel is necessary to keep up with the postmodern 21st century sound or whatever, but keep the eyes on the shoe-prize, if you please. All's I'm saying.

Is it just me, or has Widespread Panic taken over the studio? And reamed the hell out of Daft Punk in the process? Yikezoid.

And I'm totally spooked by the song "Into the Mirror." I swear to god I've heard that loop before. And it was Battles. I'm almost completely positive. Or maybe it was a video teaser for this new album. But I don't think so. It has to be a sample. I'm researching madly, but if anyone finds it before me, I need to see it for myself. I could swear.

"Animal Backwards" and "Dayglow Vista Road" are maybe the best produced on the album. "Caught in the pull of your green-eyed glow/I wanna feel my skin on the snow." Not bad. "Dayglow" is positively transcendent. If I'd had a whole album more like this one, I'd be tempted to buy it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Juliana, it's Howard. Saw this on your FB thing and I had to comment. MTB are good friends of mine. I did a good 4-5 week tour with them and These Arms Are Snakes in 2005 and remained close since, and I was a huge fan before that. To be honest, the album is lacking during certain parts (and lyrically, Jake was never incredibly witty or poetic, just straightforward to the point of daily conversation), but there are some choice songs. "Secret Country" might be my favorite track, but maybe because it's one of their heavier songs. Maybe ever. And you're right about "Dayglow". That track is awesome, as well as live. Also, the sample on "Into The Mirror" is their own. Both MTB and Battles incorporate that crazy Line 6 DL-4 Delay/Looper pedal, where they sample live sections of their own playing and they trigger the loops back and in reverse, though I think Dave just uses a Boss Loop Station for the song... (sorry to geek out on you gear-wise, but they are gear nerds too). Anyway, I really like it, it's great live, and they are good dudes for sure. Were you at the show Friday? It was great. See you later!

    ReplyDelete