Sweet treats for the literary, the musical, the feminine, and the generally filthy.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Revert to Childhood

After a couple hours discovering I cannot sample and mix music like I want to on Garage Band, nor can I make fun cool spliced and reanimated movie clips on iMovie, I got to researching four of my all-time favorite songs from my childhood, and knew they had to appear on one post all together, like my fantasy dance party (David Byrne, may I have this dance?)

It started with one song that above all others I remember was my favorite song when I was about seven years old. My oldest sister had the album and would indulge me in playing it over and over until finally lending me the tape and her Walkman to listen to during her high school graduation. It's by a little band called Voice of the Beehive, and the song is from that album Honey Lingers where the sisters are all dressed up in big pink fluffy gowns:

The second is one I remember falling in love with at the beach, and wishing that David Byrne would be singing about meeee! This video employs the cut-and-paste technique, a popular style of the times. But since the embedding has been disabled, you get to click the link. (LINK)

Next, we have a more predictable favorite, but one that appeared on every single one of my many many radio mix tapes throughout middle school. Again, I remember hearing it blasting out of my sisters' bedrooms and would ask to enter and listen. Look for the turban hat. That is my favorite part. And for proprietorial reasons again, you get to clink the lick: (LICK)

And finally, the video I've been dying to find for ages, a relic of wobegone forgotten bygone times past when I was too young to read the episode titles and my other sister would have to read them to me, a timeless classic. Tiny Toons presents They Might Be Giants' Istanbul.

My favorite part is the fiddle interlude.

No comments:

Post a Comment